Non-preference of the red mite Oligonychus yothersi McGregor (Acari: Tetranychidae) for oviposition on leaves of Paraguay tea progenies (Ilex paraguariensis)

Luis Francisco Angeli Alves, Cristhiane Rohde, Dayanne Fabrício Bressan, José Djair Vendramim

Abstract


The oviposition preference of the red mite Oligonychus yothersi McGregor was evaluated under laboratory in 52 Paraguay tea progenies and one control collected in a local farm. The experiments were conducted on Paraguay tea leaf discs infested with one adult female mite/disc, incubated in a climate chamber (25±1ºC, 14h photophase) for five days. Evaluations were performed daily, by counting the number of eggs laid in the period, the number of female escapes in the first 48 hours, as well as the number of eggs laid before the escaping. It was verified that discrimination by the mite occurred on two groups of progenies, in relation to the number of eggs: one group was different from the control (53.8% of the progenies) and the other was identical to it (46.2% of the progenies). In the first group, 60.7% of progenies were less oviposited while a higher number of eggs/female than the control was verified in 39.3% of them. In 57.7% of progenies there was escape of some mites (10 to 40%), and in 10 of these progenies no eggs were laid. The data provide evidences that in some of the progenies evaluated there is resistance by non-preference to oviposition of the Paraguay tea red mite.


Keywords


Resistant plant; integrated pest management; Paraguay tea



DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5433/1679-0359.2007v28n2p179

Semina: Ciênc. Agrár.
Londrina - PR
E-ISSN 1679-0359
DOI: 10.5433/1679-0359
E-mail: semina.agrarias@uel.br
Este obra está licenciado com uma Licença Creative Commons Atribuição-NãoComercial 4.0 Internacional